Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for FRINDSBURY

FRINDSBURY, a village and a parish in North Aylesford district, Kent. The village is suburban to Strood; stands on the North Kent railway and on the Thames and Medway canal, adjacent to the river Medway and to Strood r. station, 1 mile N of Rochester; was known to the Saxons as Estingham; and has fairs on 21 May and 11 Dec. The parish comprises 3, 595 acres of land, and 170 of water. Post town, Strood, under Rochester. Real property, £11, 265. Pop., 2, 219. Houses, 438. The manor was given, in the 8th century, by King Offa, to the see of Rochester. Upnor Castle here was erected by Queen Elizabeth, to defend the passage of the Medway: beat off the Dutch, in 1677, in their attempt to go up the river; comprises an oblong centre building, and two round towers at the end, all encompassed by a moat; was, for some time, used as a powder magazine; and has been converted into barracks. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £449. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church stands on an eminence, with a fine view; dates from the early part of the 12th century; and has a tower, with octagonal spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £78.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Frindsbury AP/CP       Strood PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place names: ESTINGHAM     |     FRINDSBURY
Place: Frindsbury

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.