Place:


Frindsbury  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Frindsbury like this:

FRINDSBURY, a village and a parish in North Aylesford district, Kent. The village is suburban to Strood; stands on the North Kent railway and on the Thames and Medway canal, adjacent to the river Medway and to Strood r. station, 1 mile N of Rochester; was known to the Saxons as Estingham; and has fairs on 21 May and 11 Dec. ...


The parish comprises 3, 595 acres of land, and 170 of water. Post town, Strood, under Rochester. Real property, £11, 265. Pop., 2, 219. Houses, 438. The manor was given, in the 8th century, by King Offa, to the see of Rochester. Upnor Castle here was erected by Queen Elizabeth, to defend the passage of the Medway: beat off the Dutch, in 1677, in their attempt to go up the river; comprises an oblong centre building, and two round towers at the end, all encompassed by a moat; was, for some time, used as a powder magazine; and has been converted into barracks. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £449. Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church stands on an eminence, with a fine view; dates from the early part of the 12th century; and has a tower, with octagonal spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £78.

Frindsbury through time

Frindsbury is now part of Medway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Medway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Frindsbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Frindsbury, in Medway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4479

Date accessed: 28th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Frindsbury ".