Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KIRKBY-LONSDALE

KIRKBY-LONSDALE, a town, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Kendal district, Westmoreland. The town stands on the river Lune, and on the Ingleton branch of the Northwestern railway, near the boundary with Lancashire, 11 miles SE by S of Kendal; seems to have risen around a very ancient church, -the earliest in the valley of the Lune; took thence its name, which signifies the "Church Town of Lunesdale;" comprises a spacions market place, a main street, and a number of subordinate streets; consists chiefly of polished freestone houses, roofed with blue slate; commands, from some points, a brilliant view along the valley, past Casterton Fells, up to Ingleborough; is a seat of petty sessions and county courts, and a polling place; and has a post office, ‡ under Burton, Westmoreland, a railway station, a banking office, a principal inn, an old house noticed as an inn by "Drunken Barnaby, " an ancient marketcross, a market house, a bridge, a church, three dissenting chapels, a free grammar school, a mechanics' institute, an agricultural society, and charities £219. The bridge is older than the time of Edward I.; has three ribbed arches; rises about 60 feet above the river's bed; and was attributed, in old legend, to the devil. The church stands on an eminence, 120 feet above the river; includes richly Norman parts; measures 1 20 feet in length, and 100 feet in width; has a W tower, 60 feet high; is interiorly disposed in four aisles; was stripped, about the beginning of the present century, of clerestory, battlements, pinnacles, and many interior decorations; and was being thoroughly restored in 1866. The free grammar school was founded in 1591; and has £50 a year from endowment, four exhibitions to Queen's College, Oxford, and six to Christ's College, Cambridge. A weekly market is held on Thursday; and fairs are held on Holy Thursday, 5 Oct., and 21 Dec.-The township comprises 3, 098 acres. Real property, £8, 483. Pop., 1, 727. Houses, 338.—The parish contains also the townships of Mansergh, Lupton, Hutton-Roof, Casterton, Barbon, Middleton, Killington, and Firbank. Acres, 35, 569. Real property, £30, 156; of which £347 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 4, 184; in 1861, 4, 365. Houses, 740. The increase of pop. was considerably due to temporary work in the forming of the Ingleton railway. The property, in many parts, is much subdivided. The manor belonged to St. Mary's abbey, York; passed to the Lowthers; and belongs now to their descendant, the Earl of Lonsdale. The parochial surface is very diversified and contains much fine scenery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £550. * Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The p. curacies of Barbon, Casterton, Firbank, Hutton-Roof, Killington, Mansergh, and Middleton, are separate benefices.—The sub-district excludes the Firbank township of K. L., but includes four townships of Burton-in-Kendal, one. of Beetham, and one of Heversham. Acres, 44, 255. Pop., 5, 734. Houses, 1, 185.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a town, a township, a parish, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Kirkby Lonsdale CP/AP       Kirkby Lonsdale SubD       Kendal PLU/RegD       Westmorland AncC
Place: Kirkby Lonsdale

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.