Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WOODNESBOROUGH, or Winsborough

WOODNESBOROUGH, or Winsborough, a village and a parish in Eastry district, Kent. The village stands 1½ mile SW of Sandwich r. station, is believed to occupy the site of a Roman settlement, and has a post-office under Sandwich. The parish includes several villages, and comprises 2,944 acres. Real property, £8,801. Pop., 889. Houses, 189. The property is much sub-divided. Roman remains have been found near Statenborough; and many Saxon antiquities, on W.-Hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £450.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is good. Charities, £30.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Woodnesborough AP/CP       Eastry PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place names: WINSBOROUGH     |     WOODNESBOROUGH     |     WOODNESBOROUGH OR WINSBOROUGH
Place: Woodnesborough

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.