Place:


Woodnesborough  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodnesborough like this:

WOODNESBOROUGH, or Winsborough, a village and a parish in Eastry district, Kent. The village stands 1½ mile SW of Sandwich r. station, is believed to occupy the site of a Roman settlement, and has a post-office under Sandwich. The parish includes several villages, and comprises 2,944 acres. ...


Real property, £8,801. Pop., 889. Houses, 189. The property is much sub-divided. Roman remains have been found near Statenborough; and many Saxon antiquities, on W.-Hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £450.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is good. Charities, £30.

Woodnesborough through time

Woodnesborough is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodnesborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodnesborough, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6495

Date accessed: 22nd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woodnesborough ".