In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scammonden like this:
SCAMMONDEN, or Dean-Head, a township-chapelry in Huddersfield parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 1¾ mile N W of Slaithwaite r. station, and 6 W by S of Huddersfield. It has a post-office under Huddersfield. Acres, 2,080. Real property, £2, 202. Pop., 1,012. Houses, 190. The property is much subdivided. Cotton-spinning and some fancy-woollen manufacture are carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £200.* Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield. The church was rebuilt in 1865. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Scammonden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kirklees. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Scammonden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scammonden, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Scammonden".