In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alciston like this:
ALCISTON, a parish and a hundred in Sussex. The parish lies in the district of Lewes, 1 mile S of Berwick r. station, and 6½ SE of Lewes. Post Town, Selmeston under Lewes. Acres, 2,079. Real property, £1,596. Pop., 220. Houses, 47. The manor belonged anciently to the Abbot of Battle. The surface is hilly. The living is a vicarage, united to Selmeston, in the diocese of Chichester. The church shows features of Norman and of early English, and is in tolerable condition.-The hundred of Alciston is in the rape of Pevensey, and comprises the parishes of Alciston, Alfriston, and Lullington. Acres, 5,666. Pop. in 1851, 859. Houses, 181.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Alciston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wealden. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Alciston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alciston, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Alciston".