In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ringstead like this:
RINGSTEAD, a village and a parish in Thrapston district, Northampton. The village stands on the river Nen, adjacent to the Northampton and Peterborough railway, 2½ miles S by W of Thrapston; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under Thrapston, and atemperance and lecture hall. The parish comprises 1, 981acres. Real property, £4,078. Pop. in 1851, 727; in 1861, 831. Houses, 180. The manor belongs to T. Burton, Esq. R. House is a chief residence. A Romancamp is at Mill-Cotton; and Roman coins and other relics have been found there. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Denford, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is ancient, was repaired in 1864, and has a tower and spire. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and charities £31.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ringstead has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Northamptonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ringstead and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ringstead in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ringstead".