In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Redgrave like this:
REDGRAVE, a village and a parish in Hartismere district, Suffolk. The village stands near the river Waveney at the boundary with Norfolk, 4¼ miles N W of Mellis r.station, and 7 W N W of Eye; and has a post-office under Scole. The parish contains also the hamlet of Botesdale, and comprises 3, 353 acres. Real property, £7, 722. Pop.in 1851, 1, 382; in 1861, 1, 266. Houses, 299. The manor was given, by Ulfketel the Dane, to Bury abbey; passed to Lord Keeper Bacon, Chief Justice Holt, and others; and, with R. ...
Hall, belongs now to G. H. Wilson, Esq. The hall occupies the site of a residence of the Abbots of Bury; was rebuilt in 1770; and has a very fine park. Limetree House is the seat of J. R. Whit-hair, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Botesdale, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £889.* Patron, G. H. Wilson, Esq. The church was restored in 1850. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, an endowed grammar school with £28 a year, and charities £21. Cardinal Wolsey was rector.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Redgrave has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mid Suffolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Redgrave and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Redgrave in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Redgrave".