In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nowton like this:
NOWTON, or Newton, a village and a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk. The village stands near the river Lark, 2½ miles S by E of Bury, St. Edmunds r.station; and is small but neat. The parish contains alsopart of the hamlet of Horsecroft, and comprises 1, 157acres. Post-town, Bury, St. Edmunds. Real property, £1, 849. Pop., 186. Houses, 38. The manor, with Nowton Court, belongs to H. J. Oakes, Esq. The Briars is the seat of N. L. Bailey, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £314. Patron, the Marquis of Bristol. The church was enlarged and repaired in 1843; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. There is a free school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Nowton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Nowton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nowton, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Nowton".