Place:


Lindsey  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lindsey like this:

LINDSEY, a parish, with a village, in Cosford district, Suffolk; on an affluent of the river Brett, 4¼ miles NW by W of Hadleigh r. station. Post town, Kersey, under Ipswich. Acres, 1,246. Real property, £2,017. Pop., 316. Houses, 68. The property is munch subdivided. The manor belongs to James Sparke, Esq. ...


Lindsey Hall is now a farm-house. Ravens Hall, formerly the seat of the Hobart family, is now a farmhouse. The manufacture of linsey-woolsey took its rise in this parish. Traces of an ancient camp, and ruins of an ancient chapel, are at Chapel farm. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £110. Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is Norman.

Lindsey through time

Lindsey is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lindsey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lindsey, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7471

Date accessed: 21st February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lindsey ".