In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Flixton like this:
FLIXTON, a parish in Wangford district, Suffolk; adjacent to the river Waveney, and the boundary with Norfolk, 3 miles SW of Bungay r. station. Post town, Bungay. Acres, 1, 761. Real property, £2, 853. Pop., 165. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. Flixton Hall is the seat of Sir R. S. Adair, Bart.; superseded a structure by Inigo Jones; burnt down in 1846; contains valuable pictures by the Dutch and Italian masters; and stands in a park of 400 acres. An Augustinian nunnery was founded in the parish in 1258, by Margery de Creek; and given, at the dissolution, to the Tasburghs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £140. Patron, Sir R. S. Adair, Bart. The church is ancient, but good; has a square tower of uncut flints; and contains a carved pulpit, and iron hour-glass frame, and a quatrefoil panelled pew.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Flixton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Waveney. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Flixton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Flixton, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 17th September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Flixton".