In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Weald like this:
WEALD (South), a parish in Billericay district, Essex; containing Brentwood, with post-office and r. station. Acres, 5,037. Real property, £14,889; of which £200 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 3,588; in 1861, 5,209. Houses, 840. Pop., exclusive of Brentwood, in 1851, 1,383; in 1861, 2,116. Houses, 307. Weald Hall was the birthplace of Queen Mary; was also the residence of Sir Anthony Brown; and is now the residence ofJ. Tower, Esq. Boyles Court, Oakhurst, Pilgrims Hall, Great Ropers, Rochetts, Mascalls, Ditchleys, and How-Hatch also are chief residences. ...
The Essex lunatic asylum, an edifice in the Tudor style with accommodation for about 700 patients, a school-house and ten alms houses in the Tudor style, built in 1856, a Belvedere tower near the church, and a new cemetery opened in 1860, are prominent objects. There are a chalybeate spring and traces of an ancient camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £656.* Patron, the Bishop of R. The church was recently restored, at a cost of about £10,000; and has a fine tower. The p. curacy of Brentwood is a separate benefice. See Brentwood.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing South Weald has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Brentwood. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering South Weald and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Weald, in Brentwood and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "South Weald".