Place:


Stifford  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stifford like this:

STIFFORD, a parish, with an ancient village, in Orsett district, Essex; 2 miles N by W of Grays r. station, and 10 SE of Romford. It has a post-office under Romford. Acres, 1,602; of which 55 are water. Real property, £2,281. Pop., 281. Houses, 54. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £507.* Patron, R. B. Wingfield, Esq. The church is old but good, and is now beautifully restored.

Stifford through time

Stifford is now part of Thurrock district. Click here for graphs and data of how Thurrock has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stifford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stifford, in Thurrock and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6917

Date accessed: 17th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stifford ".