In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Middleton like this:
MIDDLETON, a parish in the district of Sudbury and county of Essex; on the river Stour at the boundary with Suffolk, 1 mile S of Sudbury r. station. Post town, Sudbury. Acres, 875. Real property, £1,839. Pop., 138. Houses, 31. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £557.* Patron, the Rev. O. Raymond. The church is partly Norman, with a wooden spire; was recently restored; and has fine stained glass windows, and an altar-piece by Schiavone.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Middleton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Braintree. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Middleton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middleton, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Middleton".