Place:


Horndon on the Hill  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horndon on the Hill like this:

HORNDON-ON-THE-HILL, a village and a parish in Orsett district, Essex. The village stands on a hill, 1¼ mile NW of Stanford-le-Hope r. station, and 2 ENE of Orsett; has a fine prospect along the Thames to London and to the sea; is an ancient place; was formerly a market town; and has now a post office, ‡ under Romford, London E, and a fair on 29 June.—The parish comprises 2, 634 acres. ...


Real property, £3, 734. Pop., 522. Houses, 101. The property is much subdivided. A farm bears the name of Saffron Gardens, from the former cultivation of saffron. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £210. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Pauls. The church has a wooden tower, and is good. There are a national school, an alms house, and charities £10.

Horndon on the Hill through time

Horndon on the Hill is now part of Thurrock district. Click here for graphs and data of how Thurrock has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horndon on the Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horndon on the Hill, in Thurrock and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6807

Date accessed: 16th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horndon on the Hill ".