Place:


Goldhanger  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Goldhanger like this:

GOLDHANGER, a village and a parish in Maldon district, Essex. The village stands on the N side of the Blackwater's estuary, 4 miles ENE of Maldon town and r. station; and has a post office under Maldon, and a fair on Whit-Monday. The parish comprises 2, 134 acres of land, and 590 of water. Real property, £4, 255. ...


Pop., 545. Houses, 119. The property is divided among a few. The land is low and marshy; and salterns on it are mentioned in Domesday book. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Little Totham, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £589.* Patron, the Rev.B. Leigh. The church has an embattled tower, and is very good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a national school.

Goldhanger through time

Goldhanger is now part of Maldon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maldon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Goldhanger itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Goldhanger, in Maldon and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6716

Date accessed: 21st February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Goldhanger ".