Place:


Birdbrook  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birdbrook like this:

BIRDBROOK, a parish in the district of Risbridge and county of Essex; on the Halstead railway, 2½ miles SE of Haverhill. It has a station on the railway. Post Town, Bumpstead-Steeple, under Halstead. Acres, 2,386. Real property, £4,047. Pop., 643. Houses, 143. Birdbrook Hall was formerly a seat of Sir W. ...


B. Rush. Baythorn House was built in 1668. A Roman camp occurs at Watson Bridge; and a large tumulus at Ford Meadow; and a number of Roman urns, coins, and other relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £600.* Patron, Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church is a neat substantial edifice; and contains the remains of Martha Blewitt, who was the wife of successively nine husbands, and died in 1681.

Birdbrook through time

Birdbrook is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Birdbrook itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birdbrook, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6541

Date accessed: 17th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Birdbrook ".