In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ospringe like this:
OSPRINGE, a village, a parish, and a liberty, in Faversham district, Kent. The village stands adjacent to the East Kent railway, ¾ of a mile W of Faversham r. station; and has a post-office under Faversham, and a fair on 29 May. The parish includes part of Favershamborough, and comprises 2, 798 acres. ...
Real property, £7, 538. Pop., 1, 111. Houses, 227. Pop. of the part within F. borough, 150. Houses, 30. The property is subdivided. There are several mansions and other good residences. A Maison-Dieu or hospital was founded here, in 1235, by Henry III.; was held by the Knights Templars; had a " Camera Regis" for the King's usewhen going to France by way of Dover; was given, at the dissolution of monasteries, to St. John's-College, Cambridge. Many Roman relics have been found; and are supposed, by some antiquaries, to indicate Ospringe as the site of the Roman Durolevum. There are gunpowder mills. A very fine view is obtained from the railway, at its emergence from a cutting through Beacon-Hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. value, £389.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient, in good condition; isbuilt of flint, groined with stone; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel. There are a parochial school, and charities £13. The liberty is conterminate with the parish; and is governed by a constable, chosen annually at a court-leet.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ospringe, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ospringe ".