In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hawkinge like this:
HAWKINGE, a parish in Elham district, Kent; near the coast, 2 miles N of Folkestone r. station. It includes the hamlet of Uphill; and its post town is Folkestone. Acres, 521. Real property, £584. Pop., 133. Houses, 24. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £140. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is ancient and tolerable; includes parts which probably are Norman; and has a small wooden turret. There is an Independent chapel at Uphill.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hawkinge has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Shepway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hawkinge and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hawkinge, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hawkinge".