In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barton like this:
BARTON, a parish in West Ward district, Westmoreland; on the river Eamont, 3½ miles W by S of Clifton r. station, and 4 SW of Penrith. It extends along Ulles water to its head at Patterdale; includes the townships of High Barton, Low Winder, Stockbridge and Tirril, Yanwath and Eamont-Bridge, and the chapelries of Martindale and Patterdale-with-Hartsop; and contains the post offices of Pooley-Bridge and Patterdale under Penrith. Acres, 35,312; of which 1,622 are water. Real property, £19,825. ...
Pop., 1,808. Houses, 345. The property throughout the townships is not much divided; and the greater part of it belonged to the Lancasters, and ha descended from them to the Earl of Lonsdale; while that of the two chapelries is subdivided. The scenery includes many of the most admired features of the Lake country; and will be noticed in our article on Ulleswater, and in other articles. Various minerals are found in the hills; particularly a variety of spars and petrifactions, on Bartonfell. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £170.* Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is a low large building, with a heavy tower between the nave and the chancel; was recently repaired and improved; and contains the tomb of one of the Lancasters, and monumental memorials of several other families. The chapelries of Martindale and Patterdale are separate benefices. A grammar school has an endowed income of £91; and other charities £23. Dr. Langbaine, the historian and antiquary, who died in 1657, was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Eden. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barton, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barton".