Place:


Sopley  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sopley like this:

SOPLEY, a parish, with S. village, and Avon, Ripley, and Shirley tythings, in Christchurch district, Hants; on the river Avon, 2½ miles N of Christchurch r. station. Post town, Ringwood. Acres, 4,400. Real property, £5,272; of which £26 are in fisheries. Pop., 908. Houses, 203. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £230.* Patron, H. Compton, Esq. The church is cruciform, and mostly early English. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £12.

Sopley through time

Sopley is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sopley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sopley, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4774

Date accessed: 26th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sopley ".