Place:


Castlethorpe  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Castlethorpe like this:

CASTLE-THORPE, a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks; on the verge of the county, the river Tove, and the Northwestern railway, 2¼ miles NNW of Wolverton r. station, and 3½ NNE of Stony-Stratford. It has a post office under Stony-Stratford. Acres, 1,380. Real property, £2,844. ...


Pop., 338. Houses, 69. The property is divided among a few, but belongs chiefly to Lord Carrington. The ancient castle of the barony of Hanslope stood here, but is represented now by only a deep ditch and an artificial mound. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Hanslope, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is an old edifice, with low square tower; and has a monument of Judge Tyrrell, of the time of Charles II.

Castlethorpe through time

Castlethorpe is now part of Milton Keynes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Milton Keynes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Castlethorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castlethorpe, in Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4550

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Castlethorpe ".