In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elton like this:
ELTON, a parish in Stockton district, Durham; near the Stockton and Darlington railway, 2½ miles WSW of Stockton-on-Tees. Post town, Stockton-on-Tees. Acres, 1, 419. Real property, £1, 162. Pop., 108. Houses, 20. The property is divided among a few. Elton Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £170. Patrons, T. Wade, T. J. Hogg, and J. Hogg, Esqs. The church is modern.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Elton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stockton on Tees. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Elton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elton, in Stockton on Tees and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Elton".