Place:


Halwell  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Halwell like this:

HALWELL, a village and a parish in Totnes district, Devon. The village stands 5½ miles SSW of Totnes town and r. station; and has a post office, designated Halwell, Devon. The parish includes also the hamlet of Washbourne. Acres, 3, 666. Real property, with Morley, £, 732. Rated property of H. ...


alone, £, 578. Pop., 357. Houses, 73. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £168. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is ancient, but very good; and consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with square tower. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £6.

Halwell through time

Halwell is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Halwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Halwell, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4170

Date accessed: 21st July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Halwell ".