Place:


Llangadfan  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangadfan like this:

LLANGADFAN, a township and a parish in Llanfyllin district, Montgomery. The township lies on the river Vyrnwy, 6½ miles WNW of Llanfair, and 12 SW of Llanfyllin r. station. The parish contains also the townships of Blowty, Bryngwaeddan, Cowny, Cyffin, Maeslemystan, and Moelfeliarth; it extends beyond the river Banw, and is partly watered by the considerable rivulet Nant-yn-Eira; and it has a post office, of the name of Cann Office, under Welshpool. ...


Acres, 16,929. Real property, £4,234. Pop., 1,028. Houses, 208. The property is divided among a few. Llwydiarth Hall belonged formerly to the Vaughans, and belongs now to Sir W. W. Wynn, Bart. A monastic establishment, a cell to Strata Florida abbey, was at Cyffin. Lead and copper ores have been found. Ancient fortified posts and barrows are numerous; and there are remains of a cromlech. A serious riot, attended with the burning of the parsonage, took place in 1645, on occasion of the visit of Vavasour Powell to sequestrate the benefices of the county. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is dedicated to St. Cadvan, is early English, and was recently in disrepair. Charities, £7.

Llangadfan through time

Llangadfan is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangadfan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangadfan, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4041

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangadfan ".