Place:


Upper Denton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upper Denton like this:

DENTON (Upper), a parish in Brampton district, Cumberland; on the Roman wall, the river Irthing, and the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, at the boundary with Northumberland, near Rosehall r. station, and 6 miles NE by E of Brampton. Post town, Gilsland, under Carlisle. Acres, 860. Real property, £1, 478. ...


Pop., 100. Houses, 22. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with Gilsland, in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £123. Patron, G. G. Mounsey, Esq. The church is small, very old, and probably includes some Saxon work; and the churchyard contains the grave of Meg Tasdale, the "Meg Merrilies" of Sir Walter Scott.

Upper Denton through time

Upper Denton is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upper Denton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upper Denton, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2890

Date accessed: 15th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upper Denton ".