In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Southbroom like this:
SOUTHBROOM, or St. James, a chapelry in Bishops-Cannings parish, Wilts; near Devizes r. station. Post town, Devizes. Acres, 2,648. Rated property, £7,980. Pop. in 1851, 2,517; in 1861, 2,773,-of whom 132 were in Devizes workhouse, 386 in the Wilts lunatic asylum, and 26 in Bellevue lunatic asylum. Houses, 454. The property is divided among a few. S. House is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Bishops-Cannings. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1 834.
Additional information about this locality is available for Devizes
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Southbroom has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Southbroom and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southbroom, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st September 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Southbroom".