In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hope like this:
HOPE, a chapelry in Shelton township, Hanley borough, Stoke-upon-Trent parish, Stafford; near the Stoke station of the Northwestern railway, and forming part of the Potteries. It was constituted in 1845; and its posttown is Hanley, under Stoke-upon-Trent. Pop., 4, 380. Houses, 871. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300. * Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is good.
The location is that of Hope Church, Trinity, in Sackville Street, Shelton. Additional information about this locality is available for Shelton
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hope has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stoke on Trent. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hope and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hope, in Stoke on Trent and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 16th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hope".