In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishops Wood like this:
BISHOPSWOOD, a chapelry in Walford and Ruardean parishes, Hereford; on the river Wye, 3¼ miles SSW of Ross r. station. It was constituted in 1845; and its Post Town is Walford under Ross. Acres and property, not reported. Pop., 403. Houses, 100. The property is much subdivided; and there are iron-works. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £35. Patron, J. Partridge, Esq. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bishops Wood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Herefordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bishops Wood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishops Wood in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bishops Wood".