In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Laira like this:
LAIRA, the estuary of the river Plym, and an extra-parochial tract, in Devon; contiguous to Egg-Buckland parish, in the north-eastern vicinity of Plymouth. Laira bridge here is a five-arched cast-iron erection of 1827; is 500 feet long; was constructed at the expense of the Earl of Morley, after designs by Rendal; and was, for a time, the largest structure of its kind in England excepting that of Southwark.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Laira has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Plymouth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Laira and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Laira, in Plymouth and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Laira".