In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Gallatown like this:
Gallatown, a suburban village in Dysart parish, Fife, 5 furlongs NNW of Dysart station, commencing at the N end of Sinclairtown, and extending ½ mile northward along the road from Kirkcaldy to Cupar. It is included in the parliamentary burgh of Dysart, but (since 1876) in the royal burgh of Kirkcaldy. Originally called Gallowstown, it took that name either from the frequent execution at it of criminals in feudal times, or from the special execution of a noted robber about three centuries ago; and it long was famous for the making of nails. It now participates generally in the industry, resources, and institutions of Sinclairtown; and it has a Free church and a public school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Gallatown has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Fife. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Gallatown and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gallatown in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gallatown".