In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gentleshaw like this:
GENTLESHAWE, a chapelry in Longdon and Cannock parishes, Stafford; in Cannock Chase, 4 miles E of Cannock r. station, and 5 S of Rugeley. It was constituted in 1840; and it has a post office under Rugeley. Rated property, £1, 400. Pop., 625. Houses, 138. Pop. of the Longdon portion, 311. Houses, 73. The property is divided among a few. The surface is aggregately very high; and includes the eminence of Castlehill, which commands a view of parts of nine counties. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £100.* Patron, alternately the Bishop of Lichfield and the Dean and Chapter. The church was reported in 1859 to need repair.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Gentleshaw has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Lichfield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Gentleshaw and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gentleshaw, in Lichfield and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gentleshaw".