In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described East Calder like this:
Calder, East, a village and an ancient parish in the W of Edinburghshire. The village stands near the right bank of the Almond, ¾ mile ENE of Midcalder town, and 1½ mile WNW of Midcalder station; consists chiefly of two rows of houses, with gardens behind; and has a U.P. church, originally built in 1776, and a public school. ...
At it was born a minor poet, Alex. Rodger (1784-1846). The ancient burying-ground of the parish, with the ivy-clad ruin of the church, adjoins the village, and an extensive quarry of excellent limestone is a little to the E. The parish was united in 1750 to the parish of Kirknewton. The manor or barony was given by Malcolm IV. to Randulph de Clere, taking from him the name of Calder-Clere, to distinguish it from the adjoining manor of Calder-Comitis, belonging to the Earl of Fife; underwent forfeiture in the wars of the succession; was given in 1306, by Robert Bruce, to James Douglas, the ancestor of the Earls of Morton; and includes a tract called Mortoune, which disputes with Morton parish in Dumfriesshire the claim of having given their peerage title to the Earls of Morton.
East Calder is now part of West Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Calder itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Calder, in West Lothian and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Calder ".