In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton on the Hill like this:
SUTTON-ON-THE-HILL, a parish, with two townships and a hamlet, in the district of Burton-upon-Trent and county of Derby; 3½ miles NNE of Tutbury r. station, and 8 W by S of Derby. It has a post-office under Derby. Acres, 3,233. Real property, £4,597. Pop., 545. Houses, 108. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £225.* Patron, the Rev. R. G. Buckston. The church, excepting the chancel, was rebuilt in 1864. A chapel of ease is at Osleston; and there are a national school, and charities £20.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sutton on the Hill has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Derbyshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sutton on the Hill and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton on the Hill in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sutton on the Hill".