In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashwellthorpe like this:
ASHWELL-THORPE, a parish in Depwade district, Norfolk; on an affluent of the river Yare, 3 miles SE of Wymondham r. station. Post Town, Wymondham. Acres, 979. Real property, £2,191. Pop., 409. Houses, 88. The manor belonged anciently to the family of Thorpe; passed to that of Bourchier; and was held, in the time of Henry VII., by Sir John Bourchier, the translator of Froissart, and ancestor of the present Lord Berners. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Wreningham, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £648.* Patron, Lord Berners. The church contains some old monuments. Charities, 1½ acre of fuel allotment.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ashwellthorpe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Norfolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ashwellthorpe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashwellthorpe in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ashwellthorpe".