In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Methwold like this:
METHWOLD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Thetford district, Norfolk. The village stands 2¼ Miles SSW of the river Wissey, 2¼ WNW of the Devil's dyke, and 5¾ NW by N of Brandon r. station; was once a market-town; has still a cattle market on Mondays, and a cattle fair on 23 April; and has a post office under Brandon. ...
The parish contains also the hamlet of Methwold-Hithe, situated 1 mile W by N of the village. Acres, 13,192. Real property, £11,438. Pop. in 1851, 1,669; in 1861,1,509. Houses, 332. The property is much subdivided. An extensive tract was formerly heath, famous for rabbits, known as Muel or Methwold rabbits; and is now all under cultivation. The inhabitants a re exempt from serving on juries out of the manor, and from tolls at markets and fairs. A small priory, a cell to Castle-Acre, was once at Slevesholm, and has left some traces. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £340.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with pinnacled tower and octagonal lantern and spire; and is large, good, and beautiful. There are a large Wesleyan chapel, chiefly of flint; a daily school, supported by the duchy of Lancaster; and charities £50.The sub-district contains also eleven other parishes, and three extra-parochial tracts. Acres, 68,693. Pop., 8,869. Houses, 1,978.
Methwold is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Methwold itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Methwold in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Methwold ".