In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newchurch like this:
NEWCHURCH, a village and a parish in Chepstow district, Monmouth. The village stands near the source of Poolmerick brook, 4¾ miles S E by E of Llandenny r.station, and 5¾ N W by W of Chepstow. The parish is cut into two divisions, E and W; and comprises 5, 434acres. Post-town, Chepstow. Real property of the E div., £2, 212. Pop., 561. Houses, 114. Real property of the W div., £1,064. Pop., 168. Houses, 36. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value £166.* Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The church was reported in 1859 as very bad. There are a chapel of ease at Devandean, and charities £8.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newchurch has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Monmouthshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newchurch and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newchurch in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newchurch".