In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stickney like this:
STICKNEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Spilsby district, Lincoln. The village stands 3½ miles NW of Old Leake r. station, and 9 N by E of Boston; and has a post-office under Boston. The parish comprises 4,220 acres. Real property, £5,346. Pop., 851. Houses, 167. The land is intersected with fen drains, and has navigation to Boston. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £356.* Patron, the Rev. G. Coltman. The church is early English, with a recently rebuilt chancel, and a lofty tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £105 a year, and charities £43.The sub-district contains 4 parishes and 2 parochial townships. Acres, 11,910. Pop., 2,131. Houses, 423.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stickney has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stickney and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stickney, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stickney".