In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knayton like this:
KNAYTON, a township and a sub-district, in Thirsk district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 4 miles NNE of Thirsk; is in Leake parish; and bears the name of Knayton-with-Brawith. Acres, 1, 390. Real property, £2, 939. Pop., 368. Houses, 85. There is a Wesleyan chapel.The sub-district contains two entire parishes and seven townships of other parishes. Acres, 17, 477. Pop., 1, 758. Houses, 378.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Knayton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hambleton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Knayton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knayton, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Knayton".