In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stawley like this:
STAWLEY, a parish in Wellington district, Somerset; 4½ miles W by N of Wellington r. station. Post town, Wellington, Somerset. Acres, 830. Real property, £1,182. Pop., 188. Houses, 40. The manor belongs to Messrs. Palmer and Sweet. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £150. Patron, J. Hayne, Esq. The church is early English.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stawley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Taunton Deane. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stawley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stawley, in Taunton Deane and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 17th September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stawley".