In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kippax like this:
KIPPAX, a village, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict in Pontefract district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on an eminence, near the river Aire, 2½ miles NE by N of Methley r. station, and 6 NW of Pontefract; is supposed to have derived its name from a Saxon keep and a famous ash, jointly Keep-Ash, corrupted into Kippax; and has a post office under Leeds, and fairs on 5 May and 5 Nov.-The township comprises 1, 470 acres. ...
Real property, £6, 538; of which £1, 371 are in mines, and £40 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 325; in 1861, 1, 656. Houses, 368.The parish contains also the township of Allerton-Bywater, and the t. of Great and Little Preston. Acres, 3, 344. Real property, £11, 809; of which £4, 371 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 2, 339; in 1861, 2, 901. Houses, 367. The property is not much divided. The manor belongs to Mrs. MedhurST. Kippax Park is the seat of T. D. Bland, Esq. Kippax Hall is used as a boarding school. Coal is largely worked; and malting, lime burning, and ship building are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £329.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is partly Norman; and consists of nave, chancel, and porch, with tower and spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a boys free school, and charities £28.The sub-district contains also three other parishes and part of another. Acres, 15, 923. Pop., 8, 546. Houses, 1, 722.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kippax, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kippax ".