In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lovington like this:
LOVINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Wincanton district, Somerset; near the river Brue, 3 miles WSW of Castle-Cary r. station, and 10 SW of Wincanton. Posttown, Castle-Cary, under Bath. Acres, 822. Real property, with Wheathill and Alford, £3,793. Rated property of L. alone, £1,140. Pop., 239. Houses, 53. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to J. Tidcombe, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £76.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church was early English,-of nave and chancel, with a tower; and the tower was rebuilt in 1861,-the rest in 1864. There are a national school, and charities £15.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lovington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lovington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lovington in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lovington".