In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lopen like this:
LOPEN, a parish, with a village, in Chard district, Somerset; 2 miles S by E of South Petherton, and 4 NNW of Crewkerne r. station. Post town, South Petherton, under Ilminster. Acres, 489. Real property, £2,145. Pop., 419. Houses, 99. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Earl Poulett. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £96. Patron, Earl Poulett. The church is ancient but good; was enlarged in 1834; and comprises transept and chancel, with bell-turret.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lopen has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lopen and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lopen in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lopen".