In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Hale like this:
HALE (GREAT), a township and a parish in Sleaford district, Lincoln. The township lies ½ a mile S of Heckington r. station, and 5 ESE of Sleaford. Real property, £7, 258. Pop., 687. Houses, 151. The parish includes also the township of Little Hale; and comprises 5, 110 acres. Post town, Heckington, under Sleaford. Real property, £11, 583. Pop., 1, 059. Houses, 223. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Bristol. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £810. * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church comprises nave, chancel, and aisles; and has a porch and a Norman tower. There are a national school, and charities £80.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Hale has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Kesteven. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Hale and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Hale, in North Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Hale".