Place:


Hainton  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hainton like this:

HAINTON, a parish in Louth district, Lincoln; on the Wolds, 5 miles NE of Wragby, and 7 SE by E of Market Rasen r. station. It has a post office under Wragby. Acres, 2, 306. Real property, £3, 778. Pop., 302. Houses, 57. The manor, with Hainton Hall and all the land, belongs to the Heneages, and has belonged to them since the time of Henry III. ...


The parish is a meet for the South Wold hounds. Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £240. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church includes some Saxon portions; is in good condition; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and lofty spire; and contains monuments of the Heneages. There are a Roman Catholic chapel and a national school.

Hainton through time

Hainton is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hainton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hainton, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12489

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hainton ".