In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gedney Hill like this:
GEDNEY-HILL, a hamlet-chapelry and a sub-district in Holbeach district, Lincoln. The chapelry is in Gedney parish; was constituted a separate charge in last century; lies contiguous to Cambridgeshire, 6¾ miles E of Crowland, and 9 E by S of Peakirk and Crowland r. station; and has a post office under Wisbeach. Real property, £4, 511. Pop., 466. Houses, 99. The property is much subdivided. Much of the surface is fen. A moated fort of the Romans was here; a Roman road went hence to Spalding; and Roman coins have been found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £120.* Patron, the Rev. Thomas Clark. The church is old, and was recently in disrepair. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £353. The sub-district excludes most of Gedney parish; but includes parts of four other parishes. Pop., 2, 994. Houses, 605.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Gedney Hill has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Holland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Gedney Hill and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gedney Hill, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gedney Hill".