In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kemble like this:
KEMBLE, a parish in the district of Cirencester, and county of Wilts; at the Cirencester Junction station of the Cheltenham and Great Western railway, and on the Thames and Severn canal, adjacent to Gloucestershire, 4 miles SW of Cirencester. It includes the tythings of Ewen and Wick; and its post town is Cirencester. Acres, 3, 600. Real property, with Poole, £7, 002. Rated property of K. alone, £3, 840. Pop., 466. Houses, 80. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Miss Gordon. ...
An affluent of the Thames rises here; and the water of it is raised, by a steam-engine, to supply the Thames and Severn canal. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £270.* Patron, Miss Gordon. The church is ancient; was partly rebuilt in 1840; has a lofty steeple, which was struck and rent by lightning in 1823; and contains a monument of a Knight Templar, and several other monuments. There are a free school, and charities £23.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kemble has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cotswold. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kemble and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kemble, in Cotswold and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kemble".