In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Overton like this:
OVERTON, a village in Marlborough district, and a parish partly also in Pewsey district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Kennet, 4 miles W by S of Marlborough r. station; and is a small place. The parish comprises the township of West Overton and the tything of Lockeridge, in Marlborough district, and the chapelry of Alton-Priors, in Pewsey district. ...
Acres, with Fyfield parish, and with Overton-Heath and Clatford-Park extra-parochial tracts, 8,030. Real property, with Fyfield, £6, 156. Pop. of O. parish alone, in 1851, 1,025; in 1861, 910. Houses, 194. Overton House is a chief residence. Most of the land is disposed in sheep farms. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Alton-Priors and with the vicarage of Fyfield, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £319.* Patron, the Duke of Marlborough. The church is ancient, and has a pinnacled tower.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Overton, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th March 2017
You have reached this page because, for example, "Overton" was one of the names of this administrative unit which we associate with West Overton.
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Overton ".