In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishop Burton like this:
BISHOP-BURTON, or Louth-Burton, a parish in Beverley district, E. R. Yorkshire; on the Wolds, 3 miles W of Beverley r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Bishop-Burton, under Beverley. Acres, 3,970. Real property, £7,778. Pop., 499. Houses, 102. The property is divided among a few. A residence of the Archbishops of York was formerly here. Bishop-Burton Hall is the seat of the Watts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £100.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York. The church commands a fine view, and is good. There are a Baptist chapel, an endowed school with £20, and almshouses with £72.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bishop Burton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Riding of Yorkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bishop Burton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishop Burton, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bishop Burton".